About Elks

History of the Augusta Elks

The Augusta Elks Lodge was instituted May 3, 1905.
The ceremony of institution and the degree work was conferred by Waterville Lodge No. 905, at City Hall Augusta. The Lodge procured quarters in what was then Woodsmen’s Hall, over H. G. Barker’s store, and remained there for meetings only for a few months.

The prospect of having permanent quarters decided the Lodge, then of about fifty members, to use the office of Brother George W. Merrill for meetings until the rooms on Water Street were fitted up.

In April, 1915, the present building committee was appointed, and the New Home on Winthrop Street is the result. The membership has grown from fifty at the date of institution to two hundred and eighty at the date of opening.